The International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended the tournament’s T20 cricket final scheduled for this weekend after players accused of violating the ICC’s code of conduct were found to have violated its rules.
The ICC, which runs the Twenty20 format for cricket in the world, said it had suspended the World T20 Championship, scheduled for Saturday, citing an incident on Sunday when a group of players allegedly refused to comply with a decision to stop the game.
The players were later charged with wilful obstruction, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison.
The ICC had said on Monday that the players had violated its code of practice by refusing to comply.
ICC chief executive David Richardson said on Tuesday that it would consider a proposal to suspend the T20 competition.
The T20 is one of the marquee events of the tournament, with the first round scheduled to take place in India in May.
It will be followed by the ICC World T10 Championship, which is also being played in India, in September.
The governing body had been considering extending the tournament to the rest of the world after a number of major events, including the ICC Cricket World Cup, were cancelled.
It had initially planned to hold the tournament for five years but that was extended to two years.
An ICC spokesperson said on Wednesday that it was reviewing its response to the allegations.
A statement on the ICC website said: “The ICC strongly condemns the behaviour of the ICC T10 Cricket T20 team, including members of the World team.”
We have taken this matter seriously and are currently consulting with the ICC Board of Directors and other stakeholders in relation to this matter.
“The players involved in the case are expected to appear in court on Thursday.